Sara S. Cathey, MD
Assistant Clinical Geneticist - Charleston Office
Dr. Cathey is a clinical geneticist serving individuals of all ages. Her special areas of interest include birth defects, intellectual disabilities, and lysosomal diseases.
Dr. Cathey is certified by both the American Board of Medical Genetics (2007) and the American Board of Pediatrics (2000) and is a fellow of the American College of Medical Genetics and the American Academy of Pediatrics. Other professional activities include membership in the American Society of Human Genetics, the Society for Inherited Metabolic Diseases, the South Carolina Medical Association, and the Charleston County Medical Society.
Kerr DA, Memoli VA, Cathey SS, Harris BT. Mucolipidosis type III α/β: the first characterization of this rare disease by autopsy. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011 Apr;135(4):503-10.
- David-Vizcarra G, Briody J, Ault J, Fietz M, Fletcher J, Savarirayan R, Wilson M, McGill J, Edwards M, Munns C, Alcausin M, Cathey S, Sillence D. The Natural History and Osteodystrophy of Mucolipidosis Types II and III. J Peadiatrics and Child Health. 2010 Jun;46(6):316-22. Epub 2010 Mar 29.
- Cathey SS, Leroy JG, Wood T, Eaves K, Simensen RJ, Kudo M, Stevenson RE, Friez MJ. Phenotype and genotype in mucolipidoses II and III alpha/beta: a study of 61 probands. J Med Genet. 2010; 47: 38-48. Published Online First: 16 July 2009.
- Cathey SS and Holden KR. (2009) Chromosomal syndromes and developmental delay. In M. Shevell (Ed.) Neurodevelopmental disabilities: clinical and scientific foundations (pp. 241-264). Quebec, Canada. Mac Keith Press for the International Child Neurology Association.
- Leroy JG, Cathey S, Friez MJ, (August 2008). Mucolipidosis III Alpha/Beta. In: GeneReviews at GeneTests: Medical Genetics Information Resource (database online). Copyright, University of Washington, Seattle. 1997-2008. Available at http://www.genetest.org.
- Leroy JG, Cathey S, Friez MJ, (August 2008). Mucolipidosis II. In: GeneReviews at GeneTests: Medical Genetics Information Resource (database online). Copyright, University of Washington, Seattle. 1997-2008. Available at http://www.genetest.org.
- Cathey SS, Kudo M, Tiede S, Raas-Rothschild A, Braulke T, Beck M, Taylor HA, Canfield WM, Leroy JG, Neufeld EF, McKusick VA. Molecular order in mucolipidosis II and III nomenclature. Am J Med Genet. 146A:512-3, 2008.
Office (843) 735-5083
Fax (843) 746-1002
- B.S., Pharmacy, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy, 1993
- M.D., Marshall University School of Medicine, Huntington, West Virginia, 1997
- Pediatric Residency, Palmetto Richland Memorial Hospital, Columbia, SC, 1997-2000
- Pediatrician, Tri-State Pediatrics, Ashland, Kentucky, 2000-2004
- Medical Genetics Residency, Greenwood Genetic Center, 2004-2006
- Assistant Clinical Geneticist, 2006-present