Gail Anderson Stapleton, MS, CGC
Clinical Genetic Counselor
Gail has been with the Greenwood Genetic Center since 1989, first as a genetic caseworker and now as a genetic counselor. She works primarily in pediatrics and has a special interest in working with support groups. Gail serves on the board of the National 22q13 Deletion Syndrome Foundation. She coordinates and facilitates parent groups for Fragile X syndrome, Angelman syndrome, and Rett syndrome, and serves as facilitator for the Muscular Dystrophy Association's family network.
- Wilson HL, Wong ACC, Shaw SR, Tse W-Y, Stapleton GA, Phelan MC, Hu S, Marshall J, McDermid HE. Molecular Characterization of the 22q13 Deletion Syndrome Supports the Role of Haploinsufficiency of SHANK3/PROSAP2 in the Major Neurological Symptoms. J Med Genet 40:1-10, 2003.
- Stapleton GA. Incorporating Support Groups as a Part of Genetic Services: One Center’s Experience. Proc Greenwood Genetic Cntr 20:39-43, 2001.
- McDermid H, Yse Y, Stapleton G, and Wilson H. Molecular Characterization of the 22q13 Deletion Syndrome. Presented at the 23rd meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics, San Diego, CA, October 2001. Am J Hum Genet 68:434, 2001.
- Stapleton GA and Lander L. Working With Support Groups. Perspectives in Genetic Counseling, Volume 22 No. 2, Summer 2000.
- Dupont B, Stapleton G, Terawaki H, and Chapman S. Prenatal Diagnosis of Jacobsen Syndrome. Presented at the 2000 meeting of The American Society of Human Genetics, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 2000. Am J Hum Genet 67:422, 2000.
- Stapleton GA and Rogers RC. Neonatal Marfan Syndrome with an Affected Parent. Proc Greenwood Genetic Cntr 19:38-39, 2000.
- Anderson G. The Journey Through Grief. Newsletter of the National Angelman Syndrome Foundation, Volume 11 No. 1, Spring 1999.
- Anderson G. Inherited Mental Retardation: The Fragile X Syndrome. In: Biology A Community Context (suppl). South-Western Eduational Publishing, 1998.
- Anderson G, Schroer RJ, Stevenson RE. Mental Retardation in South Carolina II: Causation. Proc. Greenwood Genet Cntr, 15:32-44, 1996.
- Rogers RC and Anderson G. Hand-Foot-Uterus syndrome versus Ulnar-Mammary syndrome in a patient with overlapping phenotypic features. Proc. Greenwood Genet Cntr, 14:17-20, 1995.
- Schwartz CE, May M, Huang T, Ledbetter D, Anderson G, Barker DF, Lubs HA, Arena F, and Stevenson RE. MRX8: An X-linked mental retardation condition with linkage to Xq21. Am J Med Genet, 43:467-474, 1992.
Office (864) 678-7884
Fax (864) 250-9582
- B.S. (Biology), Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, 1989
- M.S. (Genetic Counseling), University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, 1997