Lucia Horowitz, PhD
Clinical Research Psychologist
Dr. Horowitz joined the GGC faculty in 2008. She is a School Psychologist with extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of autism, learning disabilities, A-DHD, and behavioral dysfunction. She has specialized training in autism treatment, ADOS and ADI-R and early intervention. She has been the principal author of numerous grants to provide training for parents and professionals on working with children with autism as well as providing a summer camp for children with autism. At GGC, Dr Horowitz focuses her clinical and research interests in the areas of metabolic disorders, Angelman Syndrome, mucolipidosis and related disorders, and autism.
Bird LM, Tan WH, Bacino CA, Peters SU, Skinner SA, Anselm I, Barbieri-Welge R, Bauer-Carlin A, Gentile JK, Glaze DG, Horowitz LT, Mohan KN, Nespeca MP, Sahoo T, Sarco D, Waisbren SE, Beaudet AL.A therapeutic trial of pro-methylation dietary supplements in Angelman syndrome. Am J Med Genet A. 2011 Dec. 155A(12):2956-63.
Peters SU, Horowitz L, Barbieri-Welge R, Taylor JL, Hundley RJ. Longitudinal follow-up of autism spectrum features and sensory behaviors in Angelman syndrome by deletion class. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2011 Aug 10.
Tan WH, Bacino CA, Skinner SA, Anselm I, Barbieri-Welge R, Bauer-Carlin A, Beaudet AL, Bichelli TJ, Gentile JK, Glaze DG, Horowitz LT, Kothare SV, Lee HS, Nespeca MP, Peters SU, Sahoo T, Sarco D, Waisbren SE, Bird LM: Angelman syndrome: Mutations influence features in early childhood, Am J Med Genet A. Jan:155(1):81-90, 2011.
- Gentile J, Tan W-H, Horowitz L, Bacino C, Skinner S, Barbieri-Welge R, Bauer-Carlin A, Beaudet A, Bichell T, Lee H-S, Sahoo T, Waisbren S, Bird L, Peters S. A Neurodevelopmental Survey of Angelman Syndrome with Genotype-Phenotype Correlations. J Dev Behav Pediatr 31, 2010
- Horowitz L, “Early Intervention in Autism (0-3)/South Carolina Services and How to Access Them”, The Journal of the SC Medical Association, J. Charles, MD, symposium issue editor, Vol. 102, October 2006, No.8
Office (864) 388-1050
Fax (864) 388-1077
- B.S. in Biology from Furman University, 1966
- M.A. in School Psychology from University of South Carolina, 1968
- Ph.D. in School Psychology from University of South Carolina, 1974
- School Psychologist for Charleston County School District (CCSD), 1968-1970
- Director of Child and Adolescent Services for Charleston Area Mental Health Center, 1971-1973
- State Director of Training for Autistic Program of SC Department of Mental Health, 1973-1980
- Visiting Professor, Education Department, College of Charleston, 1980-1981
- Founded Psychology Associates of Mt. Pleasant, 1981-1995
- Director of the Autistic Program for CCSD, 1995-1997
- CARE Center Director, 1997-2008