Assistant Director, Cytogenetics Laboratory
Dr. Butler joined GGC in 2018 as a clinical laboratory fellow in the Laboratory Genetics and Genomics training program. She was named assistant director of the Cytogenetics Laboratory at GGC in July 2021. She is a member of the American College of Medical Genetics and Genomics and the Association for Molecular Pathology.
Office (864) 941-8112
Fax (864) 941-8141
- B.S., Genetics, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, 2013
- Ph.D., Genetics and Molecular Biology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 2018
- Fellow, Laboratory Genetics and Genomics, Greenwood Genetic Center, 2018-2021
- Assistant Director, Cytogenetics Laboratory, Greenwood Genetic Center, 2021-present
- Butler KM, Holt P, Milla S, da Silva C, Alexander JJ, Escayg A. Epileptic encephalopathy and cerebellar atrophy resulting from compound heterozygous CACNA2D2 variants. Case Reports in Genetics, 2018 Oct 15.
- Mattison KA*, Butler KM*, Inglis GAS, Dayan O, Boussidan H, Bambhani V, Philbrook B, da Silva C, Alexander JJ, Kanner BI, Escayg
A. SLC6A1 variants identified in epilepsy patients reduce γ-aminobutyric acid transport. Epilepsia, 2018 Aug 21 * equal contribution
- Butler KM, Moody O, Schuler E, Coryell J, Alexander JJ, Jenkins A, Escayg A. De novo variants in GABRA2 and GABRA5 alter receptor
function and contribute to early-onset epilepsy. Brain, 2018 (Accepted)
- Butler KM, da Silva C, Alexander JJ, Hegde M, Escayg A. Diagnostic yield from 339 epilepsy patients screened on a clinical gene panel.
Pediatric Neurology, 77, 2017, pp 61-66.
- Butler KM, da Silva C, Shafir Y, Weisfeld-Adams JD, Alexander JJ, Hegde M, Escayg A. De novo and inherited SCN8A epilepsy mutations
detected by gene panel analysis. Epilepsy Research, vol. 129, 2017, pp 17-25