The Greenwood Genetic Center is recruiting a registered nurse to join an active metabolic program serving the state of South Carolina. The Greenwood Genetic Center metabolic program includes two board certified clinical biochemical geneticists, three registered dietitians, a clinical psychologist, a nurse practitioner, a physician assistant, a genetic counselor, four metabolic clinic coordinators, a metabolic nurse, and a biochemical laboratory.
Job Summary: The Genetic Nurse will provide clinical direction for patient care in an ambulatory setting under the direction of the physician, advanced practice provider, or physician resident. They will also provide routine, standardized nursing care to patients and families as well as facilitate access to additional services to include laboratory diagnostic services, genetic counseling services, and genetic nutritional services specific to the individual’s particular condition.
- May direct the work of clinical and non-clinical direct patient care support personnel.
- May assist in training newly hired clinical support employees.
- Provides nursing care for patients and families at risk for or affected by diseases with a genetic component.
- Documents patient’s vital statistics and other encounter data into patient chart and ensures that all required records are in the chart.
- Obtains brief medical history and chief complaint from patients.
- Assists physician with examinations, procedures and other activities related to direct patient care.
- Arranges for patient appointments for diagnostic testing, consults, referrals and admissions to the hospital.
- Prepares requisitions and samples for laboratory diagnostic testing.
- Provides injection and medication administration training.
- Collects samples on adult and pediatric patients using proper procedure.
- Calls in prescriptions for patients according to physician order.
- Promotes positive health behaviors and self-care skills through patient education.
- Prepares exam rooms with appropriate instruments, supplies and equipment. Cleans exam rooms between procedures and exams.
- Receives and returns clinically related telephone calls; screening and forwarding those requiring physician action.
- Completes medical/physical history forms and other related information for insurance companies.
- Monitors and maintains stock of medical supplies and proper functioning of equipment.
- Locates and provides genetic educational materials and links to appropriate community resources for patients, families, and family support groups.
- Prepares and submits prior authorizations for medications and genetic testing.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to create a caring, compassionate relationship with the patients and families.
- Ability to act as a patient advocate.
- Ability to work in a collegial and collaborative relationship with the healthcare team to use evidence-based practice in providing care.
- Trained to adhere to complex protocols involving medications and therapies.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Experience with EPIC electronic medical record or willingness to learn.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience with blood sample collection or a willingness to learn.
- BLS certification preferred.
Education and Experience:
- Registered nurse (RN) with appropriate state license in good standing by the SC Board of Nursing or compact licensure with multistate privileges.
- Completion of an accredited Associates or Bachelor’s degree in nursing or a diploma in nursing.
- At least two years of experience in a clinical setting, genetics or pediatrics preferred.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Prolonged periods of periods of standing and bending.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Click here to apply.